Started working on the Tron cabinet today. I needed to disassemble it so I could paint it. Taking this thing apart will also make it much easier to clean thoroughly. This cabinet is probably the most complicated cabinet I’ve ever worked on.
I took a few pictures along the way:
Here is the art that shows the MCP through the shroud over the monitor.
This is the view from behind the cabinet through the shroud window where the MCP art usually sits.
Here is a shot of the lights near the control panel, with the panel removed.
Front view without the shroud.
Front view fully disassembled
Back view fully disassembled
Volume and test control bracket – severely bent up
After disassembling the cabinet, I focused my efforts on cleaning up the bottom inside area. This is where the AC power components (mounted on a piece of plywood) and the main game PCB boards are installed. I was able to really cut back on the amount of AC power components there were in the cabinet since many of them were used to feed the old power supply board that I replaced with a switching power supply converter kit. This really cleaned up the area well, and even gave me a nice place to mount the switching power supply. I took apart the whole assembly to sweep off 25 years of dust and grime, and to organize it a bit better. Here are some more pictures of the progress.
AC Power assembly board without components replaced by Switcher kit
Components replaced by Switcher kit – not longer needed!
AC power assembly board all cleaned up and put back into the cabinet.
Here’s the “guts” of the game all cleaned up and ready to go!
Another shot of the inside bottom of the cabinet.
Closeup of the Switcher Converter kit mounted on the cabinet wall where the old Power Supply used to be.